of the game is the unfinished build of the game, officially released or leaked prior the actual release date. There were several known betas of Tony Hawk games spreading around for years.
There are 2 known betas for this game.
Earlier Beta (dated 1999-04-09)Edit
This version contains a lot of early concepts that did not make it into the final game. Score tokens were represented by glowing rings. Filling up special meter would make skater glow.
There are only 5 skaters in the game and the 6th is Rasta Guy which can be accessed by hack only.
Levels that made it to the final:
- School level is complete in this version except there are few differences: no building in the center (just grass and few trees instead), fences, showing outside areas (not that much).
- Downtown. This level is almost same except there is a parking lot passage in this version. Minor difference include texturing, vegetation and bowl on the roof which resembles similiarity with infamous bowl from Chicago level.
- Skate Park. Chicago appears in the earliest demo versions like Pizza Hut demo, hence it is complete in this version.
- Mall level was more or less complete. Some objects are misplaced yet and walls were not textured yet to represent mall shops. There are just a few at the moment.
- Suburbia. Behind this name you can find the very early representation of the Streets San Francisco level. You can only find roads by the perimeter, the area inside where pagoda would stand later and area rgar will become china town. However suburbia is the name of another level that did not appear in the game.
- Roswell. This is the most interesting level because its shape is comletely finished in this version, but texturing is way off.
Downhill Jam. By the beggining, this level looks finished, but the farther you get, the more weird stuff you can notice.
Concept levels that did not appear in the game:
- Downhill. This is surpisingly not the Downhill Jam level, as you might thought, but a long level which allows you to skate down the hill, collecting tapes. In the end skater would find himself into the room which shares the same visual style with Chicago level. It's not a secret that Pro Skater game was intended to become Top Skater competitor, but it didn't play well so they refused the idea. Downhill levels in the final game are probably the most contradictive levels.
- Classic Concrete. This level is not available without hack as it just crashes the game. Basically it's just a test level to represent different terrain materials.
- Freeway. This level was intended to represent the construcrion of freeway lane. You can even find some parts of this lane, some construction vehicles and some square installation.
- Suburbia. It seems like they simply used Suburbia entry to start Streets level, but the actual Suburbia is still there, hidden in game files and it is inaccessible without hack. It represents suburban district with a couple of houses, drive-in theatre and playground for children.
Later Beta (dated 1999-07-10)Edit
This version is way more complete, the differences are in Streets level, as it wasn't finished yet and Warehouse that was looking way more dark and abandoned.
This PC beta shows the development progress at the moment. Manual was already added, yet its mechanics weren't worked out fine yet. Nollie was still assigned to Up+Ollie. There was a weak grab modificator by the analogy with Kissed the Rail for grind, but they refused to use it referencing to players who do not understand the difference and think that Melon and Weak Melon are different tricks. Game files of this beta provide small bits of game's source code.
This beta was presented at E3 2000 and it is not in public yet. It contains several unfinished levels that are only accesible by hack.
This beta is not in public yet. It contains some minor differences in levels and lots of levels from previous games (hack). THPS3 early beta playlist by Sairuk
Later Beta (Dated 2001-09-19)Edit
Not really beta, more like a pre-release leak because pretty much everything is the same.
Boston There was going to be a Dodge Neon style car, But was later replaced by a Silver sedan.
The B.B van from Austrailia was going to be present, But was later replaced by a Jeep Wrangler.
The area of the hospital was completely different in the beta version and was changed for unknown reasons.
Barcelona Nearly all of the ground had entirely different and less detailed texture, Though they were likely placeholders.
Berlin The Gallerie had a much different paint scheme.
The roads were much lighter and less detailed.
Inside of the Gallerie, The Blue Space monkey can be seen at the DJ Booth rather than Cut Chemist.
Australia Many of the textures there looked much different.
New Orleans Most of the buildings had much different and more detailed textures in the beta version, It is unknown why the full release had lower quality textures.
The roads were much lighter and less detailed.
Gameplay mechanics There was going to be an unknown mechanic that would have an air effect at the end of your skateboard. It is unknown what this feature would have done, But it can be seen in the E3 reveal.
The player character originally could have rode any of the Special character vehicles, But was likely changed due to them being limited to special characters.
All of the characters would have originally shared the same graffiti tags.