Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2X
November 15, 2001
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2X was developed by Treyarch and released on November 15, 2001 in the US and Canada as an exclusive launch title for Microsoft's Xbox. The game contained remade versions of all the levels from the first two games in the Tony Hawk series, five new levels, a 4-player split screen and LAN multi-player feature and the ability to create females in Create-a-skater mode. Other new features include a redesigned user interface, a balance meter for grinding and the ability to import your own music into the game. The game was never released outside of North America, by the time the Xbox was released in Australia and Europe, THPS3 was already released and was used as the Tony Hawk Xbox launch title as opposed to 2X.
- Club, London, United Kingdom
- Construction Site, Dallas, TX
- Skate Park, Tampa, FL
- Subway, New York City, NY
- Sky Lines, Detroit, MI
The career mode starts with the THPS2 levels, with the exclusive levels succeeding, upon completing the 2X levels the THPS1 career mode is unlocked. The classic levels featured many improvements, for example Hangar featured a control room that wasn't seen in any other Tony Hawk game except THPSHD.
THPS2X received positive reviews, the game was praised for it's improved graphics and it's value, however critics claimed that those who have played THPS1 and 2 a lot wouldn't miss out on anything, and those who had played THPS3 would find the game sluggish in comparison. The games exclusive levels had a mixed reception, Jeff Gerstmann of GameSpot explained that "the [level] design is quite dull when compared with the standard set by the real levels", in Vincent Lopez's review on IGN he said "while the new levels are beautiful, they mimic the general size and architecture of Tony Hawk 2 levels... That's not to say they aren't great levels -- the construction yard is a dense, small structure with tons of vertical space to explore, and the Disco, while eerily empty, has a lot of tiny secrets that make it well worth unlocking."
- Some levels were partially reused later in both Underground titles, including Hangar and Philadelphia. The Tampa level in the first Underground reused the Tampa Skate Park seen in 2X as the location for the Tampa AM contest that Eric Sparrow and the player participates in.
- THPS2X allows you to toggle between two different "Views". By pressing the "Back" button during a run you are able to zoom in and out to adjust the view of your character from behind. The default setting for this option is always the "zoomed" option until changed.
- THPS2X uses a detail texturing technique to improve most of the games textures.
- THPS2X features a unique camera lens flare effect, the first Neversoft game that used this effect was THUG2.
- THPS2X uses a special technique to draw three-dimensional grass. This technique was poorly reused in THPS4.
- THPS2X introduced a new motion blur effect that you could toggle on and off in the options menu. This feature would not be re-used until much later in the series.
- THPS2X replaced the unlockable character "Private Carrera" with another female skater "Trixie".
- THPS2X places unique stickers on ramps based on your current skater's sponsor.
- THPS2X allows you to spin/rotate "Special Tricks" such as "Indy-Frontflip" by using the "left" Joystick.
- THPSHD uses the updated level models from THPS2X.
|Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2X levels|
|Hangar • School II • Marseille • NY City • Venice • Skatestreet • Philadelphia • Bullring • Chopper Drop • Skate Heaven • Club • Construction Site • Tampa Skate Park • Subway • Sky Lines • Warehouse • School • Mall • Chicago • Downtown • Downhill Jam • Burnside • San Francisco • Roswell|
|Tony Hawk's Game Series|
|Pro Skater • Pro Skater 2 • Pro Skater 2X • Pro Skater 3 • Pro Skater 4 • Underground • Underground 2 • Underground 2 Remix • American Wasteland • American Sk8land • Project 8 • Downhill Jam • Proving Ground • Motion • Ride • Shred • Pro Skater HD • Shred Session • Pro Skater 5|